I'm looking
for help...
Aidpage is free!

Free downloads: GrantGate®  Federal Money Retriever®

Community Development Block Grants/State's Program

Published on AidPage by IDILOGIC on Jun 24, 2005

Administered by:

Who is eligible to apply...

Only State governments may receive funds from HUD under this program. Funds are allocated to each state based on a statutory formula. States must distribute the funds to units of general local government in nonentitlement areas.

Eligible Applicant Categories:
Eligible Functional Categories:

The State must certify that with respect to nonentitlement areas the State will: (1) engage in planning for community development activities; (2) provide technical assistance;(3) consult with local officials from nonentitlement areas in determining methods for distributing funds, and (4) each unit of general local government to receive funds must identify its housing and community development needs, the needs of low and moderate income persons, and the activities to be undertaken to meet such needs. The State must submit a Consolidated Plan and annual action plan, which contains its method of distributing CDBG funds. The State must also certify that (1) it has met the statutory citizen participation requirements, (2) it will conduct its grant in conformance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Fair Housing Act, (3) all activities will meet one of the three national objectives described under "OBJECTIVES", and (4) it will comply with the other provisions of Title I and all applicable laws. This program is covered under OMB Circular No. A-87 or comparable cost principles established by the States.

Note:This is a brief description of the credentials or documentation required prior to, or along with, an application for assistance.

About this section:

This section indicates who can apply to the Federal government for assistance and the criteria the potential applicant must satisfy. For example, individuals may be eligible for research grants, and the criteria to be satisfied may be that they have a professional or scientific degree, 3 years of research experience, and be a citizen of the United States. Universities, medical schools, hospitals, or State and local governments may also be eligible. Where State governments are eligible, the type of State agency will be indicated (State welfare agency or State agency on aging) and the criteria that they must satisfy.

Certain federal programs (e.g., the Pell Grant program which provides grants to students) involve intermediate levels of application processing, i.e., applications are transmitted through colleges or universities that are neither the direct applicant nor the ultimate beneficiary. For these programs, the criteria that the intermediaries must satisfy are also indicated, along with intermediaries who are not eligible.